Registering for HMRCs online services is fairly straightforward, but a few pointers can’t hurt. We’re here to make life as simple as possible!
Things you need before you start
Before you start, you’ll need your Employer’s PAYE Reference number and your Accounts Office Reference number. Make sure you have these to hand, as you won’t be able to register for HMRCs online services without them.
Next – go to HMRCs registration page
Follow this link to get started https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/registration
Then follow these steps
- Select the link for an ‘organisation’ login
- Next, you’ll come to a tick-box menu. You’ll need to select ‘PAYE for Employers’ from the options and click ‘Next’
- Read and click through the following screens. Accept the terms and conditions and enter your name and email address
- At the next step, you’ll be prompted to enter a password. Make sure you keep a note of this (somewhere secret!)
- On the next screen, you’ll be given your Government Gateway User ID. Make sure you make a note of this, too – you will need it again, but not straight away
- Next, you need to enter your Employer’s PAYE Reference and Accounts Office Reference. Once you’ve done this, click ‘Next’ and you’ve finished the registration process.
- You’ll then be sent an Activation PIN in the post which you’ll need in order to activate the login for PAYE
- When you receive the PIN, you need to login and enter it when prompted. You may need to select the ‘PAYE for Employers’ service first
- Once registered, you can log in to HMRCs online services and set up any other services you may need.
- Once everything is set up you can then enter your User ID and password into your Paycircle account. This will then give Paycircle the ability to automatically update Tax Code and Student Loan notices for all of your team.
One last thing
You may need t o check that your PAYE Notices are set to ‘automatic’ with HMRC. If they aren’t set to automatic you will receive them in the post and have to update them manually. Paycircle connects to HMRCs systems daily and will be able to update tax codes for you. If you’re not sure if you’ve done this, have a read of our quick guide, Setting up automated Tax Code and Student Loan Notices with Paycircle.